Life Spirit Speech Hippotherapy offers a unique opportunity and a multitude of benefits geared to meet the distinctive needs of each individual. Our hippotherapy program is offered at the J.F. Shea Therapeutic Riding Center in San Juan Capistrano.
The smiles and joy observed when individuals are offered the opportunity to interact and benefit from the relationship with our horses is powerful and healing! Therapeutic riding programs have been helping people in the United States and around the world since the 1950ís.
Our method is to utilize the horses movement creating sensation of the sensory domains (visual, auditory, tactile, vestibular, proprioceptive). This input directs the rider into an optimal arousal state. The rider is more focused towards the intervention process than traditional clinical treatments. Behavior struggles are most often eliminated during the therapeutic process.
Speech Therapy Utilizing Equine Movement
Program Goals & Benefits
1) Increase muscle strength to allow speech production.
2) Encourage onesí sense of accomplishment and self-esteem.
3) Support a sense of safety awareness.
4) Learning about the needs of the horses encourage participantís to observe the needs of others.
5) Enhance sensory acceptance, body awareness, motor planning, posture, and muscle strength.
8) Advance and encourage reciprocal interaction and social interactive skills, peer interaction and building friendships.
9) Increase oneís alertness and ability to interpret non-verbal communication signals while communicating with the horse and the instructors.
10) Stimulate and encourage auditory comprehension skill growth.
11) Increase the development of oral language skills.
12) Add to, and strengthen overall communication skills.
Our speech language pathologist will conduct an initial evaluation in order to determine if a hippotherapy program is suited for the participant.
If the program is considered appropriate, the participant's speech and language intervention goals will be incorporated within the treatment program.
Safety is our number one focus! All treatment sessions are facilitated by an experienced team to ensure the participants safety. The team includes our speech language pathologist who has achieved certification in hippotherapy, along with a trained horse handler and two trained side walkers. Each participant wears a safety helmet and is continuously supervised.
The hippotherapy treatments are conducted in both equestrian arenas and on riding trails.
Pleasure of Feeding The Horse
Local to: San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarite, Irvine, Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach, Orange, Tustin, and Newport Beach. Preferred Provider with : Blue Shield of California, Health Net and PhysMetrics
Out of Network Provider for: Anthem, Aetna, Untied Healthcare & Cigna